Thursday, July 11, 2013

Take time for family 2: Appreciation Togetherness

English: Fireworks on the Fourth of July
 (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
This is part 2 of my Fourth of July weekend. 

When I wrote part 1, I was in my aunt’s home office.   I really was ready to stretch out my wings of this world of the internet, marrying my smartphone hotspot connection with my IPad, and “Old School” won by a landslide.  Rule #1:  When they say that a 2 year old smartphone with bad reviews can connect you anywhere to the world in a matter of seconds with your tablet or laptop, run far, far, away.   I am on the family plan at Verizon, and dad thinks I can replace the phone next month, Hooray!!!   My aunt has Wi-Fi, but could not remember the password.   I thought that it might be her phone number.   Not likely so.
Anyway, Thursday was typical 4th of July festivities (food and fireworks), except for one thing and that is rule #2:  please remember when you have a child under the age of 4, most of the time, they not like the loud noise.   My cousin at the age of 11 lit the fireworks after dinner, and watching them on the back patio was wonderful, except my nephew did not like the noise.   That is something I will have to consider when we head to Disney World in December.   He will be 3 years old by December 1st, but for now, at age 2, he was hold his little ears closed.   It was just the 7 of us this time, in December it will be hopefully 10 of us.
Friday was getting together with older relatives day.   We visited my mother’s cousin, who lives 2 hours from my aunt, and they are in their 80s.  As much as it may pain you to listen to them, learn about your family’s history as much as you can.   That is rule #3.  They have so much to offer and it does not matter if you have heard about what your parent and cousin “What’s Their Name Again” did in Junior high, it gives you a sense of heritage and how far the family has grown since that time.
Saturday, we visited my grandparent’s gravesites.  They are buried next to each other, and even though I do not like to talk about death, it is a part of life.   You know there has been a lot of talk lately about Paula Deen’s upbringing, and how she justified everything she did up until her firing from Food TV Network. This ties into my grandparents’ burial.  They are buried in Alabama, the Deep South.   South of Mason-Dixon Line.   Paula is from Georgia, another part of the Deep South.   The cemetery next to the cemetery that my grandparents are in, is nicely kept, grass mowed (probably 5 times a day), flowers on every gravesite, while the area where my grandparents are hardly has seen a lawn mower in a few weeks, and there are very few flowers at the gravesites.  My mom stepped in an ant bed.  One side is the White side and the side where my grandparents are is the African American side.   The city and the county (called Moundville (city) and Hale (county)) refuse to take down the fence that separates the two, and this is 2013.   This is why I do not have no love for the south, Alabama or Georgia, but I do have respect for the remaining relatives who decide to live there.  After that, we went to a get together at my youngest uncle’s house, and we sat, talked, ate, while the children played outside.  Rule #4:  Appreciate the past, no matter how bad it was, just appreciate it, and move on.
Part 3 is coming up in a few… this is the end of part 2.  Be blessed 
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment below. Thank you.