Saturday, June 25, 2016

Finding your own self-worth as a writer

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Put in Bay Lighthouse (c) 2016 P. Lynne Designs
This post is a little different than my usual posts, because, lately I have been seeing a lot of people being torn down by others for the way they look, act, and lifestyle. It does not have to be in the news. The tearing down of self-esteem can be in home, school, work, or even at an event. They come in all shapes and sizes. Bullying has hit an all-time high. It is time to take back your self-worth as a person, which is a subject for a different day. Since this is a writing blog, I thought I would tackle the problem from the side of a writer. At first, I thought about saying that you are a beautiful writer, no matter what style you write in, what type, and where you write. There are several ways this self-worth can be achieved.
1) Own it. I am not talking about just owning your work, I am talking about owning your profession. Everyone has different reasons to become a writer. Believe it or not, mine was it sort of fell into my lap. I have had a whole of jobs that would get me the career that I needed. When I first graduated from high school, I wanted to be an actress and a dancer. I had been in several plays, took all kinds of dance, and I play the keyboard instruments. My father thought it was not enough, so I studied social work and I hated it. Next came Early Childhood Education, and was told that I was just being a glorified babysitter. My math was bad, so I did not want to an elementary school teacher (I could have). These were the first jobs of many, including working at a bank, a web company (CompuServe), and finally settling in on Marketing, and I had found my calling. Humm, I just gave myself several things to write about. Writing gives me the relaxation I need, plus I get to help out others who hate writing. That leads to the next reason…
2) You are helping others. If you are a freelance writer, or freelance of anything, you are helping out other people. What executive likes to write out a 250-word document on the state of the company when they can hire someone to do it for them? You are an outsource for them. They do not have to put pen to paper or touch a keyboard. They can tell you what they need, and how they want it said. A win-win situation. They get the task done (providing that they hired a Ghostwriter for the job), and you get paid.
3) Payment. You get to set your own price. In a sense, you are the boss. What is your document on the colonization of bees’ worth? $25? It may be too low. $75? It still may not be enough. $100? It may be just right to you, but to a client, it may be not make the budget. But, that is the beauty of setting your own price. You can see how much your work is worth. Look at how much time you want to put into writing and how much your overall budget is (including living expenses). This should help.
So, these are some of the ways that you can find your self-worth in your writing. You are confident, you do not tear yourself down, and you get to build others up. You are authentic in your writing, and you speak the truth, even when you are writing fiction. When you are not at your best, others see it, and that gives way to the bullying that may happen. Some may not understand why you do what you do, but that is when you explain your work through your words, because words are powerful when written and spoken.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment below. Thank you.