Saturday, April 18, 2015

A picture is worth a thousand words: Pinterest and Instagram part 1


 
Pinterest Logo (2015) Pinterest.com.
Instagram logo (2015) instagram.com
In continuing with this series of mine, which is all about social media and how I personally use them, I made an executive decision to spread it is out over a course of a few weeks, while keeping up with the rest of my posts.  The reason for it is so you can digest what was given to you, and if you are interested in learning more, I will not overwhelm you with information.  I also do not want to give you a whole bunch of fluff.  If you are the same type of learner I am, you would appreciate my teaching technique of “slow and steady wins the race”. 
I hope you were able to get the jest of Twitter in the last couple of posts.  I will do a recap at the end of the series for you.  Today and tomorrow, I will cover both the basics of Pinterest and Instagram.  The reason for me covering both at the same time is to me, they both do the same thing.  That is, they allow people to post photos to share (and share and share).   I have you know that these two are my absolutely favorites of all the social media, because I do not have to say but one or two sentences on what is going on in the photo.  Not only that, but if you are computer savvy enough to link a picture from Pinterest to a blog article or post you have written, your traffic will increase.  I have seen the numbers on my own posts.  I am starting to grow in this area, so it will take a while to get the traffic numbers I want from my blogs, but for the moment, I am happy with the results.  If you do not have a website or blog, do not worry about this portion, but I know you will benefit from what I have to say.  First off, Instagram.
Instagram is one of those apps that is strictly mobile.  With an Instagram app, you can take a picture, post it on Instagram, and bring people into a portion of your world.  I have shared family photos, work photos, even photos of what I have eaten.  The problem you have to watch is like all social media, you have to be very careful of how many photos you share and how often you share it.  My tip for you is to space it out, no matter if this is a personal or business share.   Again, you could be accused of over-sharing or spamming.  Make it short and sweet, but make it likable.
Pinterest is sharing what you like.  It could be a decorated living room, advice on how to save for a vacation or getting out of debit, a product idea, recipe, or a DIY project.  You like it, and you want to share it.  Simple, right?  No so fast, and there are pros and cons to everything, including Pinterest.   Those pros and cons will be talked about in my next post, but for now, you have to be very careful on what you share on Pinterest.

So this ends my post for now.  Next, I will discuss the pros and cons of both Instagram and Pinterest, followed by how I use each of them.    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment below. Thank you.