Thursday, May 31, 2012

What's with the Gaydar...can a person just Be single?


Ok, there I said it.   What's with the gaydar all of a sudden?   I was reading Facebook 5 mins ago (Can you tell I love to read), when I ran across this article on my news feed, "Oprah Admits She is Gay".  So like any curious person, I clicked on it.  It is some video of her talking to Barbara Walters two years ago.  It is edited, but the question to Oprah was is she gay?   I am not going into details with the video, but like I said, it’s edited, and bad editing at that. This is the second time in the past 24 hours I read where someone has reported that a celebrity is supposed to admit that they are not what they are in the public eye.   12 hours ago, I read about Queen Latifah and her personal trainer having a little smooch on the cheek and then she was at the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender event in Long Beach, CA calling them "her peeps".   

What I want to know is when did this country become one great big National Enquirer rag paper?   Did I fall asleep in some alternative universe where gaydar is the norm?  Yes I am calling it right, GAYDAR.  Why are we as a country so concern if someone like Queen and Oprah admit that they are gay.   I know I am not.   So why am I writing this post?  Simple, because this society has this problem that if anyone over the age of 35 who does not have a man or a woman under their arm or mentions they have one, they must be gay.   Well guess what?  I am over the age of 35, I am single, never had a date to save a life, but yet I want a man.   I am not being picky about my selection of men, but I want the right one to come along and sweep me off of my feet.   does that mean I am gay?   I want you to ponder that for a moment.

At the time, I was married to having a career, just like some women I know.  We are not out there running after a man to take care of us.  Hey, if they want to do that, it is fine with me, but I do not except handouts.  Apparently nether do stars like Oprah who want it all.  we are not the generation who were taught that you let a man sweep you off your feet, and then when you get married, you sit down and eat bonbons all day, or if you work, you give hubby the paycheck, and you get an allowance. That went out with the 1970's.  Today, you can get hubby the dinner, be attentive to his needs, and still be your own woman with children.  Marriage is a 50/50 thing, an equal partnership.  Just because some women waited, and still waiting does not mean that we want a woman to keep us warm instead of a man.   I used to think that I would never have a man because they were all taken, and yes, I might have at one time preferred a single man with no children who is part of my race (which is African American ), but now I am open.  He can be divorced, single, with or without children, white, brown, or Asian, but he must apply himself.  He does not need a degree in something, but he needs to be working.  He also has to profess Jesus as his Lord and Savior.   I will not stop going to church, praying or reading the bible because of a man.  I will not stop working because I have a man either.   

Look, even if they were gay, which stars like Rosie O'Donnell, Ellen DeGeneres, and Wanda Sikes have admitted to being gay in the last few years, so what business is it of ours?   They feel comfortable about it enough to announce it on television.  There are some like Robert Reed (of Brady Bunch fame) who went to the grave with it.  (Only a hand few of people know about it until after his death)

So please stop with the gaydar.  If they are, they are, and if not, Oh well.  None of my business.  As they say, different strokes for different folks.  Worry what is going on in your own back yard, and leave everyone else's alone.  Gossip is not good for the soul or your spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment below. Thank you.