Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Don't let a day like Valentine's steal your joy...

When I was a little girl, Valentine's day was all the rage.  Every year it was the same thing, I would bug my mom to buy a box of those sad, little valentine cards, because I have a class list of everyone, and everyone was getting a card from me.  I was ready for the challenge, carefully writing everyone's name in the to and from spaces.  I would get the same number of cards back as I would give, except one year in the 5th grade, when Mike Myers (Not the Actor) refused to give me a card.  I punched him, but I still did not get a card from him.
As the years of getting a v-day card from my classmates faded, I started expecting bigger and better things, like a actual man to grace my doorstep.  Around age 30, I started hating everything that had to do with Valentine's day, Sweetest's day, and anything that had to do with being a couple, and I started to wonder, "Why me?".  It wasn't until a few years ago that I started liking these days again.  Here is why:

  • First, I started telling myself that I was still pretty.  You know, some singles, rather a man or a woman, start self degrading themselves, because you do not have someone calling you baby, sweetheart, or your "boo" every 2.2 seconds or so.  You are your own boo first, their's second.
  • Next, I started finding out what make me, me.  What is it about my personality, my looks, or my activities that would attract a man?  Do I still want a man? Yes, but I am not pushing, and I know there is one out there just for me.
  • Finally, I asked my friends and family. If they truly want to see you happy, friends and family will tell you things that you have not noticed about yourself.  When they tell you, do not take it the wrong way.      They are just trying to help.
If you do not have a date for V-day (as I like to call it), you can do this:  have a v-day revenge day.  This day takes place the day after Valentine's day.  All stores have to put their stuff on sale.  This includes flower shops, candy and drug stores and the like.  Go buy yourself a bouquet of flowers.  Yes, guys, you can do that too.  The clerk does not have to know who the flowers are for.  If they ask, tell they her name is Noneya, as in "None of your business" (don't tell them that last part, silly).  Get a box of your favorite chocolates.  After all, they are 1/2 price.  If you love things like teddy bears or anything with hearts on it.  Get whatever you like.
Better yet, do it V-day and the day after.  Even better still, do it everyday.  You deserve it.  God says you deserve it.  You do not need Valentine's day to get flowers and put it in the middle of the table.  Take a nice, hot bubble bath, or what I like to call, go back to your childhood.  Get take out and bring it home.  If you are embarrassed about it, get two, pretend that you are bringing it home to someone else, and you do not have to cook for two days.  If you really do not need that second dinner, take it to a shut in person, and eat with them.   Not only do you feel good, but you have made someone's day too.
Now there are some rules I would like to quote (and this is a MUST)....
  1. NO SOCIAL MEDIA- Do not post, tweet, email, or text that you are doing this.  It is not allowed.  No one has to know everything about your life.
  2. DO NOT TELL FAMILY-next thing you know, you will have boo-baby and the gang, and your second cousin twice removed invading your space, and you most definitely do not want your parents coming over.  You will never get rid of them.  IF THEY CALL...Tell them that you are busy.
  3. DO NOT TELL YOUR BFF-She (or he) will declare it an emergency meeting and try to get you out of that slump of yours.  It is not a slump, you just wish to be alone, and treat yourself.
  4. IF YOU DO HAVE A ONE, AND THEY ARE NOT IN A A CELEBRATING MOOD...tell them not tonight and do not discuss it with them.  Tell them that you are OK, and you will talk to them later.
To me, Valentine's day is up there with Christmas in the over-rated department.  Stores make too much of a big deal on the subject, and statisticians are upset, because of the number of people who do not celebrate Valentine's day were down in 2012 then in 2011.  If you love the holiday, great, if not, great too.   Just remember that there is someone who does not need Valentine's day, Sweetest's day , or any holiday to tell you how much He loves you, and that person is Jesus.
John 3:16 says, For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten son, and whoever believes in Him will have eternal life.
Have a Blessed day.  

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment below. Thank you.