Friday, December 7, 2012

Desiderata

I am forever finding things.  I found this poem.  I first heard it at a choir concert many years ago.  The program had this poem on it.  years later, on a trip to Atlanta, GA with my church, I bought a laminated copy of the poem.  I moved several times, and I thought I had lost it in the move.   I think I am going to have it framed before I lose it again.  I love this piece, because it speaks of peace, how to deal with others, how to deal with your career and how to deal with you as a person, a human being.  It also speak about how to deal with God Almighty. and finally how you should feel about your life.  I hope you will enjoy it if you not heard it all ready.  The author is unknown

DESIDERATA


"Go placidly amid the noise & haste, & remember what peace where may be in silence.  As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly & clearly: and listen to others,even the dull & ignorant; they too have their story.  Avoid loud & aggressive persons, they are vexatious to the spirit.  If you compare yourself to others, you may become vain & bitter; for always there will be greater & lesser persons than yourself.  Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Keep interested in your own career, however humble: it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.  Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery.  But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; may persons strive for high ideas; and everywhere life is full of heroism.  Be yourself.  Especially, do not feign affection. neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity & disenchantment it is perennial as the grass.   Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.  Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself imaginings.  Many fears are born of fatigue & loneliness.  Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.
You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees & the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.  Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever labors & aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your SOUL.  With all its sham, drudgery & broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.  Be cheerful. Strive to be happy."
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment below. Thank you.