Saturday, September 15, 2012

Follow-up on Dance Moms: Now it is Honey Boo Boo Child's Turn

Discovery TLC Asia
(Photo credit: Wikipedia)
I am appalled in the worst way and I will tell you why.  Back in about April 2012, I did my little review on Abby Lee Miller.  I will have to admit that I am still not that crazy about her methods of teaching her elite dance squad, but she gets results.  She has more awards than any dance group in the country, so she must be doing right.  These parents complain, they moan, and they....nah I am not going there.  This is a Christian based blog, and I am not going to start swearing here, every time I have a little tiff about something I have a slight disagreement with.  Dance Moms is very tame compared to this...WHAT IS A HONEY BOO-BOO?
I wanted to know this the moment I heard Whoopie Goldburg of The View mention it.   In case you too started scratching your head about this thing that has come to pass (sorry for the biblical reference), this is not a thing, but a little 6 year old girl from Toddlers and Tiaras.  Her real name is Alana Thompson, and she is a force to be reckon with.  She seems ok under normal circumstances, if you call putting your 6 year old in a beauty pageant normal, BUT once she starts drinking her go-go juice, you know what breaks loose.  This kid goes, and she goes, and goes some more.   She starts mumbling things, such as Honey Boo Boo Child (her nickname by the way), and starts tearing up stuff.  I started research via watching You Tube videos and this is a sad, sad thing to see.  Her mom even explains what it in the drink.  Alana helps her mom mix a cocktail of (get this...) Red Bull and Mountain Dew.   Someone please call children services on this woman.  This is not funny at all and TLC (The Learning Channel) condones it.  On top of that, the child is overweight.  I am not sure if this kid gets the proper nutritional values for someone her age.   The first video I watched of Honey Boo Boo Child (Alana) put me to tears.  This mother of hers is spending thousands of dollars on this kid's pageant, and does not save any of the winnings towards her college education.  she could use it towards a down payment on a house or fix up the one she currently has.  She does not see the need of Alana getting an education beyond high school.  True, many people do get good jobs after high school, but in reality, the job are usually the bare minimum.  Ok, I have gotten off the track a little bit.   Who knows, Alana may turn out to be a great, healthy adult.  
Shows like Alana's spin-off show, "Here comes Honey Boo Boo" should not be shown, because it is exploitation.  I have only seen a couple episodes of Toddlers and Tiaras (Eden Woods was on at the time), and I have not seen none of the Honey Boo Boo episodes (nor do I want to).  I know putting a child in a pageant is no worst than putting them in a dance class, letting them take music lessons, or sports, to name a few. But when you are not letting a child get the value out of even a music lesson, something is terribly wrong.  Is it any different than Dance Moms, 20 Kids and Counting, or even Kate plus Eight when the later two were on the air?  It depends on who you are and how you like your reality television.
Look, children have been on television since the very beginning, but the difference now is everyone wants their 15 minutes of fame and sorry to say this, but now their child's 15 minutes of fame as well.  I wanted to be a Mouseketeer and be part of the 1977 New Mickey Mouse Club (the one with Lisa Whelchel  of Facts of Life fame), but no such luck.  My parents would not let me audition (they were held in New York City).  I had mad dance skills back then.
It does not matter what you or I think of Miss Honey Boo Boo (AKA Alana), the household has some serious problems from what I have seen in videos, and it is worst then what Abby Lee Miller can do with her brassiness ways.  At least she gets results that carry on into adulthood.

Be Blessed Everyday.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment below. Thank you.