Thursday, August 9, 2012

Back to School

Its 5am how could it be?  Just 2 days ago, I was playing outside with my friends.  I did not have to get up unless I wanted to, now I have to.  Do I have to do this forever?

Do those words sound familiar?    School can be taken in one of two ways; you either hate it or love it.  I look at it this way; when you are Kindergartner, school is fun, and you get to learn new things.   By the time you get to 12th grade, you just want to get it over with.   I am an aunt of 4: Mike, Deonte, Nine'na, and Leon. Each child has their own view of school.
Mike is in 11th grade this year.  Getting out of bed is somewhat of a challenge.  He wants to stay up until dawn, and then basically lay around.  When he was around the youngest one's age, his brother Leon (I will mention his age in a moment), he looked forward to getting on the "big boy bus".  By the time he hit his cousin's age (more on him too), he was was ready, and even got up before my mother, his grandmother.
Deonte, is entering school for the first time this year.  This budding Kindergartner cannot wait to get on the school bus and get his feet wet.  I cannot wait to see how he really feels when is doing this same routine 5 years from now.  Nine'na, my only niece will be 4 next month, and is headed to head start this year.  She rather be in school with her brother, Deonte and wanting to ride "Deonte's bus".   They have done everything together and this is first year she will be without her big brother. My last little guy, almost 2 years old (in two weeks), does not have any concept about school.  He just knows that his brother does homework.  Leon loves his brother, who adores Leon and would give anything to protect him from harm.  I cannot wait to see Leon's  views on how he got up for his first of school.  Leon already knows his ABC's, and is working on counting.  For right now, I love his baby ways (sometimes, the temper has to go)
So why am I talking about school?   I graduated from my last school in 2003 with a Bachelor of Science degree in marketing, so looking for new clothes, supplies, and scheduling classes was not new to me.   I graduated from high school in 1982, and started off going to Ohio State as a drama major.  I was going to be a actress.  I wanted major roles, have adventures, and do some of the things the popular actresses did back then (anyone looking for the first Black Bionic Woman, LOL).  My need for partying and staying up (not to mention two of my roommates made out with a couple of guys one night while I was asleep) made me leave the school dorm life, and commute from home.   I gave up acting for social work...and another school. I went to Columbus Technology Institute (now called Columbus State Community College) for this major, and I was not fully engaged into the process of having to do casework.   In fact I hated it.  I thought to myself how am I supposed to pull in the big bucks with this job.  I quit that major and I took up...early childhood education, because I love children.  I found out that most daycare directors did not like me, so I quit school altogether...for a while.
I do not want to bore you with how I got into business, because it was a stepping stone from Secretarial Science, which I earned a certificate from the Technology Education College (now Kaplan).  My final stop was Franklin University and earning that B.S degree in Marketing.  I have kept up with marketing, and there are so many avenues in the industry now until I am itching to get my Master's degree in the major.  Although most of the stuff I am learning on my own, such as social media marketing, and internet marketing, I have that drive to earning that master in case I do decide to go back to working for someone else.   You may ask, "Why would I want to do that?"  Several reasons which includes not enough profit to sustain a business and more credentials to back behind my business.
So as you are trying to get your future dentist or whatever they want to be ready for your first day of the new school year, listen for clues they give you for a method that works for both you and your child.  If you have more than one, remember that each child is different, and there is more than one approach to dealing with each one.  Welcome to a new school year, and be blessed today and every day.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment below. Thank you.