Thursday, June 18, 2015

Me in a nutshell…A look back at opportunity

(c) 2014 P. Lynne Designs


I am always looking for new topics for all 5 of my blogs.  They all have been in sort of a hiatus.  My world is changing, and in some ways I can say for the better, and in others, not so much.
I was inspired with this topic by a friend of mine, where she talks about herself, and how she found herself through job interviews.  She has a new job, and even though she loved the old one, Kelly felt like it was time to move on.  She enjoys her new job, which has similar duties from the former one.  In fact, it was at the former job where I met Kelly.
Anyway, as I read her blog post, I could not help but to think about myself over the years.  I have changed so many jobs since I started working at the age of 21, and the reason why I did not have the typical after school jobs was pure laziness in my school work.  Working was a privilege in my home, and it was important for me to get to and through my senior year in high school.
Anyway, fast forward to age 21 and my first job.   I was an assistant daycare helper at an Easter Seals facility.  I enjoyed my job, but it was only a summer job.  The kids were great, but, I was sad to learn how some of them became disabled, but I could not show sympathy, because then a child would not learn how to master a task.  That sympathy had to become a caring, but nurturing way for them to have that courage to learn how to do something, which most of us take for granted.  I will not tell you about all of my first jobs, but this was one of the jobs, which still stands out in my memory. 
What I found out about myself is that I am a very loving person, who sometimes wear her heart on her sleeve.  I am trusting, but not too trusting that I am not asking the right questions.  I am nosy, but only because I want to make sure that whoever is involve in that situation is given a fair chance.  I am quiet, a good listener, and a thinker.  I want to make sure I get all the facts the first time.  I repeat things often to a person, because I want to make sure that you, the listener, get all the facts straight, and right.  I am an advocate, because I believe that rules should be fair and just.  They are not always that way, but I want to try.  I do not like conflict, and I do not like starting fights. I want everyone to just get along.   I will defend you, but do not expect me to put my hands up in a fist fight.  I do not like guns.  I am a Christian, but I also believe in a person making their own decision.  I can only tell you the truth, and you decide how you want to take it in.  I am for human rights. I love a good cry.  I am humble.  I will let someone else have a turn first.  Those are my strengths.
My weaknesses are sometimes I am too quiet.  I am shy, and still have a hard time speaking up.  Some of my strengths can sometimes become my weakness if I make the wrong decisions.  I am still working on my temper (yes I have one of those).  I cry at the drop of a hat, especially if I am hard on myself, and lately, I have been a little too hard.  I sometimes do not recognize my own talents, and therefore, I have lost a lot of opportunities.  I am now playing catch-up, but I am grateful for what I have.

My tip for teens and young adults, your first job is not your last job.  Just because you are working at McDonald’s today, that does not mean you will be working there tomorrow.  Make the best out of everything you do, because you never know….you could be waiting on your next boss.  Do not be so quick to make the fast money.  It will come, IF you work hard.  If you are always waiting on someone to always give you something, you will never get it.  You have to EARN IT.  There are many ways of earning it, and some take longer than others, but you will get there.  There is a reason why Missouri is the “Show Me” state.  People want you to show them that you have what it takes to be the next big thing to come into their lives.   The next big job does not have to come from Hollywood, Broadway, or the record labels either.  In fact, very few people get DISCOVERED.  If you feel that this is your calling, you have to be willing to show up at every audition, no matter what.  Always remember, everyone has a purpose in life, no matter how great or small.  In fact, you may have to work behind the scenes first.  At the end of the day, always be grateful for what you have accomplished, and never complain about what you have not done.  If it was meant for you, it will come soon enough, but you must have patience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment below. Thank you.