Wednesday, October 10, 2018

How to journal (or at least how I journal) and included are some topics that might interest you in getting started.

Hello, and welcome back to Day 2 in my Journaling 101 series.  Yesterday was an introduction into the world of journaling and how writing in diaries differ from journaling.  We looked into the definition of the word journaling from two different sources, and I hope you will check them out.  What I failed to mention is a series on journaling by Lisa Shea, whose first book, titled Journaling Basis-Journal Writing for Beginners, talks about how you should journal, different techniques, and using tools on journaling.  I have not listened to it for a while on Audible, but I highly recommend this book and any of Ms. Shea’s other books in this 9-book series.  It is also available as an E-book and in paperback.
Today, We are continuing the series by talking about how to journal.  I know I explained in yesterday’s post that you can journal any way you want, but what I do not want to do is to have you fail at this.  Journaling anyway you want does not really promote self-love, which is the theme I am seeing lately.  Today, there are too many people hate on themselves and on each other.  So, with that being said, if you want to write a fun-loving journal that promotes happiness, go ahead and do it.  No one is stopping you, but I have to ask you, what happens when you are faced with a problem?  You can dance around the situation, but what is your reaction to that situation?  I will get into the types of journals you can have in the next post.  Let’s get started.

First things-Preparation:

If you have never journaled before, I suggest that you get a notebook with lines.  This is how I started out and you can transfer over to a more permanent notebook (with or without line), a binder, or online later.  Now is the time to get supplies while they are on sale for Back to School.  There are journaling books that you can buy as well.  Get a well-made book, and I have some at Dollar Tree for $1.  I have mentioned the advantages and disadvantages of written and online in the introduction, but I will go more into detail of each later.

Where to write:

Next, find a comfy spot.  This is your area for you and you alone.  No spouse, no children, and no pets.  It can be a corner, at the kitchen table, your craft room, or She Shed/man cave. (yes, guys, if you can have a man cave, she can have a She Shed.  It is the latest thing for women.)  Place anything in that space that will make you comfortable:  your favorite mug, blanket, pillow, a pot of coffee, even wine, but not too much wine, you want to be able to read this entry in your 80’s.  I have two spaces; my computer desk and my bed.  I can access my journal in either location, depending on my mood.  Put on a little mood music if you need to.  Hey, it is your space and your world. 

When to write:

Anytime is the right time to write but be consistent.  Do not write when you feel like it.  Morning, noon, nighttime. I have been known to write at 4 AM when my mind is racing.  I founded out from Lisa Shea that you cannot write like that unless you are writing in a creative journal.  (more on that in the next post).  For grateful, daily, and other ‘finding yourself” type journals, it is best to be quiet, be still, and write.  4 AM is for sleeping, getting up to go to work, or in my case, that last round of Cookie Jam Blast.  Hey, I cannot say that I am perfect.  I do have a few flaws.  Only God is perfect, LOL. 
How often you write is also up to you.  I recommend at least once a day, or in the case of a creative journal, whenever an idea springs up.  Again, no matter how you do it, please be consistent in your timing.  You can write as long as you want to but do not make it an all-day event.  You have places to go, people to see and take care of.  In the case of a creative journal, carry a small notebook with you. When an idea comes up, write down in your notebook and transfer it to your journal later. You can start and stop your journaling anytime you want.  Perhaps this is a special journal where you journal about your pregnancy, and what you what your child to know about.  This is a 9-month journal that has a start date and an end date.  It may end on the day you give birth to him/her or it may end one year after the birth.  You may have a 5-year journal.  Again, it has a start date and an end date.
I will cover what types of journal books work with your style of writing at a later time under the tools of the trade.
Conclusion:
Well, this is the end of day 2 and what translates to a day where it does not matter what type of notebook you have for journaling, if you do it on a computer, online or offline, or in your handwriting, what time of day, or where to write, as long as you are satisfied with the results of your journaling.  Remember, if you have any questions about your journaling process, please send them to plogan721@att.net, and I will try to get back to you.  Thank you for following along. 
If there is a specific question you feel would benefit my readers, you can send them to the address mentioned, and I will try to address that topic in another post.

In the meantime, on day 3, where I will discuss what types of journaling can you start and what purpose can you get out of them.  Until then, God bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment below. Thank you.